Are you taking the needed time to self care? Do you feel as though you’re on an unending escalator unable to get off? Are you experiencing feelings of burnout, exhaustion, trauma, stress, depression and anxiety? Overwhelmed with feelings of hopelessness and frustration? Overwhelmed by the constant media overload of
articles and discussions centered on the state of this country’s affairs?
Are you eating properly and getting the needed sleep, your body requires? Have you joined thousands of others traumatized by assaults on our humanity and well being by this administration? If the answer is yes, it’s time to step back and self care.
While, being vigilant we must take care to not allow these unrelenting poisonous assaults to inhabit our spirit overwhelming us and affecting our health and well being. Whether our personal concerns or protesting social justice issues, we must take care to protect ourselves. Self care is not an option, it’s a necessity. Healthy bodies cannot survive without proper care. We must do everything possible to protect our health. Self care demands that we step away from all activities to rest, re-energize, relax and return renewed. We cannot be of service to anyone, if we are not well ourselves.
Ways to Keep Healthy:
0. Get sleep.
1. Honor your right to private time, time for self. Make no apologies.
There is a difference between taking time for self and isolation.
2. Do not isolate yourself( remove yourself relationships, the world,
and your normal routines.
3. Remember, there is still beauty and love in the world. Embrace it!
4. Do those things that bring you joy.
5. Surround yourself with those you love, like and respect.
8. Listen to music and sing along.
9. Pray and meditate. Keep your spirit and heart fed.
10 Take a break from social media and definitely threads (debates).
11.Check in on each other.
12. Share a meal. Organize a potluck.
13. If physically able, take a walk and enjoy nature. Sit by the water.
14. Be still. Clear your mind. Repeat a mantra of your choosing.
15. In a crisis? Speak with a professional and/or someone you trust.
16. Work on your art, create.
17. Take a well deserved break. Have a me day.
18. Eat properly. Cut out junk foods.
For information visit Mental Health, Resources & Advocacy
©Lorraine Currelley 01/30 2017. All Rights Reserved.